I wanted to create a blog literally months/years ago and am just now finally doing it. I had hoped to begin with in-progress posts on the two costumes I created for New York Comic Con 2012, but I got too busy while making them. Better late than never…
I decided to remake Arkham Asylum Harley Quinn, which I wore at NYCC ’11. Dhare also needed a costume and he wanted to be Shepherd from Mass Effect, so I said “Yup”, I’m all over that! Even though I had no idea what I was doing, my goal was to finish for comic con and I was very determined. Starting perhaps a bit too late and giving myself almost no time, I set out to begin a month before the con… I wish I had taken more progress shots of Shepherd as it would have been really cool to see more of the process.
I started with Harley first and decided I wanted to conquer duct tape. This time, I really studied her, gathered many references and collected all the proper hardware I needed. Last year I just quickly threw a costume together using duct tape. I was happy with it then but always knew I could do much better. I wanted to create a replica costume as close to the game version as possible.
This is the corset after I had finished wrapping myself in duct tape. I very carefully had Dhare help me cut if off and then finished cutting the pattern out. You can see the lines of boning I put inside a layer of duct tape.
The corset is almost completed here. You can see some of the construction of the straps and hardware here.
The completed corset took me about a week (working on and off) and I was very happy with the results.
The skirt is a long piece of “duct tape cloth” I made and then gathered every eight inches to form pleats. I sewed some duct tape belt loops on and added heavy duty velcro for the enclosure. I probably spent a couple of days on the skirt.
The boots are made from a pair of cheap over the knee wedge boots that I found on Amazon. I covered them in one layer of duct tape and then added the black duct tape details as well as some gold hardware. I made them the morning of comic con because I ran out of time! Anyway, mission accomplished!
We had such a fun time at comic con last year. I’ve already started planning which costumes I want to do this year and can’t wait for NYCC ’13 and hopefully some other cons/events!
Now this was something entirely new to me. I hadn’t ever done anything involving armor making except the cardboard Master Chief chest armor I built last year. However, I never finished it and eventually just threw it away as it was taking up precious real estate in my studio apartment. I love anything that I can make with my hands and am willing to attempt anything so I started gathering as many references as I could and poured myself over forums and blogs. There are so many great references on the web… I really found a lot of helpful and inspiring information, especially on therpf.com, 405th.com and Evil FX’s blog. But even with all the info I found, since this was something I had never done before, I knew I just needed to dive in.
Unfortunately I didn’t take many WIP photos as I had so little time to make this costume. By the time I finished Harley, there was a week left before the con and I spent every waking moment (literally!) on Shepherd. I ate, slept and breathed Shepherd for a week of my life. But I DID finish and have never felt so accomplished. You can find more pics on my facebook and flickr pages.
Ahh, the beautiful mess in my tiny studio apartment 🙂 I don’t mind because I love it! Everything is getting painted up here.
This is some of the EL wire I used to light the bottom and some of the top portion of the back piece. Super lightweight, this was a battery run pack. The only annoying this about it was the high pitched ring it seemed to make. Good thing you couldn’t hear it in the Javits Center! I also used a strand of mini xmas lights on the back piece.
The chest piece all assembled and glued together. After walking around at the con all day, Dhare’s mobility was a bit limited so next time I will probably change a few things and separate pieces for easier movement.
We of course had to get mini versions of our costumes. Here’s mini Shepherd. I need to make that Omni-Blade…it’s just too damn cool!
Shepard needs to hydrate too…
Photo credit to Owen Long. www.olong.squarespace.com
And one of us together 🙂 Never mind that I didn’t get to finish Shepherd’s boots in time for the con…
Hope you enjoyed seeing these costumes. I’m going to be started a new costume this month and detailing it here and on my Facebook page.